Hello everyone. Today I would like to suggest you a simple activity. It is suitable for young learner lever 8-12. It is called ‘Word Snake’. It can improve students’ recognition and spelling of similar vocabulary. It is very easy to do this activity in the classroom. Just follow the steps below.
1. Explain that the student are going to make a word search puzzle for someone else in the class to do.
2. Give out photocopies of the snake.
3. Either specifies the number of words and lexical set that children should ‘hide’ in the snake, eg eight clothes words!
4. If they are unsure of spelling, ask them to check this, eg by looking in their course books, before they begin. Set a time limit for preparing the word search, eg 5-10 minutes.
5. When the students are ready, collect in the snakes and redistribute them. Students do each others’ puzzles by circling or colouring the words they find. Again, you may like to set a time limit for this, eg five minutes.
6. At the end, children return the snakes to their owners, who check whether all the words in the puzzle have been found.
I hope your students will enjoy with this activity.
Posted by Suraya Asae teacher at Banlalae school.